Today, we have the pleasure of sharing a recipe that has been passed down through the generations. As each family embraced the tradition, it has been added to, adjusted, left plain and embellished; but the end result has always been the same.
Old Fashioned Banana Bread
½ cup butter
1 cup white sugar
1 ½ cup of all purpose flour
1 tsp soda
1 tsp salt
4 medium ripe bananas ~ mashed
2 tsp vanilla
– ½ cup of chopped nuts of your choice
– ½ cup of chocolate chips
Mash bananas and set aside.
Mix flour, soda and salt together. At this time, stir in any add-ins that will be used.
Cream butter and add sugar and eggs. Blend well. Stir in vanilla.
Add 1/3 flour mixture and blend. Add 1/3 banana. Blend. Continue adding flour/banana until all is mixed together.
Pour into greased loaf pans (2 – 3” x 5” x9”). Bake at 350 F for 60 – 75 minutes or until a knife inserted into the middle of the loaf comes out clean. .
Remove from oven. Let stand for 5 minutes before removing from pans. Allow to cool on a baking rack.
– Loaf pans need to be greased and floured before adding dough.
– Line loaf pans with parchment paper if you would rather not grease/flour pans.
– Use muffin tins or mini loaf pans
– Add ½ of a cup of chopped nuts OR chocolate chips OR a mixture of both.
– To freeze, cut loaf in half (or smaller size) cross-ways. Wrap each section with a layer parchment paper, followed by a layer of plastic wrap, a piece of tinfoil and finish off with brown freezer wrap.