Today, we have the pleasure of sharing a recipe that has been passed down through the generations. As each family embraced the tradition, it has been added to, adjusted, left plain and embellished; but the end result has always been the same.
Old Fashioned Banana Bread
½ cup butter
1 cup white sugar
1 ½ cup of all purpose flour
1 tsp soda
1 tsp salt
4 medium ripe bananas ~ mashed
2 tsp vanilla
– ½ cup of chopped nuts of your choice
– ½ cup of chocolate chips
Mash bananas and set aside.
Mix flour, soda and salt together. At this time, stir in any add-ins that will be used.
Cream butter and add sugar and eggs. Blend well. Stir in vanilla.
Add 1/3 flour mixture and blend. Add 1/3 banana. Blend. Continue adding flour/banana until all is mixed together.
Pour into greased loaf pans (2 – 3” x 5” x9”). Bake at 350 F for 60 – 75 minutes or until a knife inserted into the middle of the loaf comes out clean. .
Remove from oven. Let stand for 5 minutes before removing from pans. Allow to cool on a baking rack.
– Loaf pans need to be greased and floured before adding dough.
– Line loaf pans with parchment paper if you would rather not grease/flour pans.
– Use muffin tins or mini loaf pans
– Add ½ of a cup of chopped nuts OR chocolate chips OR a mixture of both.
– To freeze, cut loaf in half (or smaller size) cross-ways. Wrap each section with a layer parchment paper, followed by a layer of plastic wrap, a piece of tinfoil and finish off with brown freezer wrap.
Served warm or cold, these muffins are moist and flavorful.
Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins
1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
2 ½ teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground orange peel or 1/2 teaspoon of fresh orange zest
1/2 cup milk
1/3 cup butter or margarine – melt and set aside to cool while preparing the other ingredients
2 medium-sized bananas – mashed
Chocolate Chips – to taste
Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, orange peel and chocolate chips together. Set aside.
Beat egg by hand and stir in milk. Add banana. Mix until well blended. Slowly add melted butter.
Add dry ingredient mixture to liquid mixture. Mix only until moist – do not over mix.
12 Muffin Tin – Place dough in oiled muffin tins and bake at 400 degrees F for 20 minutes. Let stand 3 minutes before removing from pan.
24 Mini-Muffin Tin – Place in oiled muffin tins and bake at 400 degrees F for 10-15 minutes. Let stand for 2 minutes before removing.
Gnocchi is a simple dish to make and, take pleasure in eating paired with your favorite wine.
Home Made Gnocchi
2 cups of mashed potatoes
2 cups flour
1 egg – slightly beaten
Pinch of salt
Place the mashed potatoes in a bowl and mix in flour a half a cup at a time. Add salt and egg. Blend together well. Place on a cutting board and knead until mixture forms a ball. Divide into eight equal portions. On a floured surface roll each portion into a long snake. Cut into half-inch pieces.
In a large pot of salted, boiling water, cook desired amount for 3 – 5 minutes or until the Gnocchi floats to the top. Drain, rinse quickly under cold water and serve with your favorite sauce.
– This recipe makes lots. Freeze extra for later use.
– Cook the extra first – rinse under cold water – to stop them from sticking together – and leave them to drain while you enjoy the last batch.
– Cooking frozen Gnocchi – Bring water to a boil. Place frozen Gnocchi into the pot and let it come to a boil again. We found it best to take these from the freezer and straight into the boiling water without thawing out first. When the Gnocchi is ready to serve it will have floated to the top. Drain and serve with your favorite sauce.